May 17, 2009

One of my Hero's

I have been blessed throughout my life with wonderful friends. This post is dedicated to one of my best friends, Stephanie. Stephanie and I met our Sophomore year in High School. I mention that because the way we met may have something to do with why we have stayed such good friends. A few months after we became friends Stephanie wrote a letter to the young women general presidency telling her story and Sister Nadauld used it in her talk entitled, A Comforter, a Guide, a Testifier, in April Conference 2001:

"A 15-year-old girl felt that she needed to find new friends. Have you ever felt that way? She writes, "Now, I don't know if you have ever had to change friends, but it honestly was the hardest thing I have ever had to do." She decided to put her problem in the hands of the Lord, and she also counseled with her parents. She says that after several months "she wanted to just give up." One afternoon she was casually talking to her seminary teacher, and she confided her problem to him. Then he said, "I really don't know why I am asking you this, but do you happen to know these girls?" This girl answered with a yes. And then he said, "Have you ever thought about being friends with them?"

"I told him that there was no way that I could fit in with them. He then asked me if he could talk to one of the girls. I decided I would let him, if he promised not to embarrass me.

"Well, that next day I received a phone call from one of the girls. Now, you have to understand that this girl was on student council, and I hate to use the term, but she was 'extremely popular.' She asked if I would like to go to the basketball game with her that night. That night was one of the funnest, most peaceful nights of my life. The next day at school, she introduced me to two other girls. We all instantly became friends. This event has changed me."

She concludes by saying, "I don't know about you, but I would much rather have the Lord, who knows the outcome of everything, direct my life than me, who just sees things as they are at the time. He is right by our side, walking us through life, even when we feel so alone"

That could be Stephanie's motto in life. I remember that basketball game, I felt the same feelings of peace and happiness. We had so much fun, and I don't even like basketball. I knew as soon as we met, we would be good friends.

Stephanie is an example to me of trusting the Lord and allowing him to govern your life. She also has the courage to follow the path the Lord has set for her. Stephanie recently opened her home to her nephew, a, 9 month old boy who has special needs. Her and her husband are in the process of adopting him. Even though Stephanie has a 3 month old baby girl, she didn't hesitate to welcome him into her family and to serve him and love him like her own child.

I am always uplifted when I talk to Stephanie. Even when she is discouraged, she manages to remember the Lord and his plan for her. She often say's, "I don't know what people do who do not know the gospel." She has not had an easy life however, she recognizes her blessings and that the Lord has a special mission for her. She is a gifted speaker and teacher and has already had the opportunity to teach the young women in her ward. She has blessed my life and I admire how she is always looking for opportunities to bless others.

Oh, did I mention how much fun she is to hang out with. She is funny, beautiful, talented, a little scatterbrained, and so considerate of others.

This is a picture from a recent shopping trip we took to Hobby Lobby. The front cart is full of babies and the second cart is full of cute fireman decor to decorate a room in her house for the new addition. I love you Steph. Thank you for being such a great example of trusting in the Lord.

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet post! I love Steph too. She was always, always such a wonderful example.

    ReplyDelete